Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Eowyn's Elegant Rager


How do you know when you've ruined your kids?

I'll tell you. 

The moment you regal them with tales of your favorite childhood birthdays and they respond:

 *Pause*

 "I am sorry, Mom. You must have been so sad to just have cake, ice-cream and a few games."

Did your parents even love you?

Umm. Where to begin.

Points for empathy, kid. I guess.

(Actually, I had a great childhood. But that's not that point.)

Really, I have only myself to blame. Oh and maybe Pinterest.

Here's the deal:  Eowyn described her ideal 9th birthday as an elegant dinner party of enchiladas on fine bone china with a few intricate crafts, a mani/pedi station and a photo booth.

To which, I responded, "Sure. I can do that."

You see, when every kid's birthday party is like a cirque du soleil styled bat mitzvah, then, yes, I suppose cake and ice-cream seems like you're not even trying.

Well, we did it:
Fancy party dresses were the recommended attire according to the Lilly Pulitzer invites that requested attendance.  A hand-crafted fabric banner and fresh market flowers created a festive but elegant ambiance.

I made about one million chicken enchiladas with house-made re-fried beans.

And then ended up with about the same number at the end of the night.
(Swing and miss on the Mexican cantina front.)

Apparently, elementary-age girls are not huge fans. Just my senorita.

With the aid of my lovely, indulgent friends (to whom I owe a kidney), Mara and Jamie, we manicured and pedicured the entire posse of party goers.
And then glitterized flip flops.
And beaded ribbon necklaces.   
And poured faux champagne like we earned a bachelors in it.

. . . A bachelors which I  now regret getting in anything other than child entertainment and laundry.  My two great passions.

Confession: I even painted all one hundred wooden beads. One. Hundred. Small. Beads. By. Hand.

It was like self-flagellation.

Yes, my kids are most certainly ruined. By my own paint-brush wielding fist.

So, one day, as they relay my many failings to a nodding, sympathetic shrink, I pray they take into account what a bitterly disappointing childhood of minimalist birthday parties I heroically survived.

I mean, the made for TV movie practically writes itself. 


















No comments: